Job Title: Interim Senior Minister
The Interim Senior Minister is responsible for providing a sense of continuity, stability, community and programmatic evaluation during the time of transition.
The Interim Senior Minister will:
● Design and deliver hybrid worship services on Sundays in partnership with the Associate Minister & the music staff, offering inspired, scholarly, competent messages that foster the spiritual life of the community and equip them to live as Progressive Christians.
● Promote a community that is intergenerational and racially, economically, and
spiritually diverse, integrating all congregants into the fullness of the church’s vision.
● Ensure good organizational functioning of the church as the leader of the church staff.
● Analyze the church’s goals, evaluate its various ministries, and offer strategic input for post Pandemic restructuring and/or rebuilding of programs that have not fully revived.
● Participate in the pastoral care team, serve as a resource for church committees and ministries, and be available to officiate at baptisms, communions, weddings, and memorials upon request.
● Participate in Board of Directors meetings and engage with all church leaders, volunteers, members and staff to facilitate change management in preparation for a new settled minister.
About The Congregational Church of San Mateo (CCSM):
CCSM’s vision is to be a strong voice for Progressive Christianity on the San Francisco Peninsula and beyond, to build a beloved community, and to lead in championing social and environmental justice for all. CCSM is an Open and Affirming (ONA) congregation.
CCSM is a thriving church with about 400 active members, a well-established associate minister (currently Acting Senior Minister), a Director of Operations, and other staff. We provide a traditional, hybrid service on Sunday mornings organized and led by the Senior Minister.
Throughout its worship, ministries and programs, CCSM strives to advance its Guiding Principles, which provide detailed definitions of six components – “Spiritual,” “Christian,” “Open-Minded,” “Inclusive,” “Evolving,” and “God’s Hands, Feet and Face.” The CCSM community strives to understand, live our faith, and act upon it in community.
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Time base: Between 75% and full-time, with holidays and vacation per the church Personnel Policy.
Compensation: About $130,000/year base (salary and housing) for full-time based on experience plus benefits.
Application: Please send a letter of interest and a resume to the search team lead, Veril Phillips, at email@example.com. A UCC Minister Profile will be required at a later date.
Acting Senior Minister
Rev. Dr. Sheryl Johnson
Board of Directors
Austin Mader-Clark, Moderator
Frank Garritano, Vice Moderator
Lauren Mathews, Secretary
Veril Phillips, Treasurer
Deborah Chang, At-Large
Dave Goulden, At-Large
Valerie Leung, At-Large
Don Ruthroff, At-Large
Kerianne Steele, At-Large
Congregational Church of San Mateo
225 Tilton Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94401